Monday, March 31, 2008

Modifying Art

A friend asked me if I could help her with a piece of artwork for her genealogy research. She wanted to do some digital copies for her family reunion. She found a ship picture that she liked that was a became a bit grainy when the size was increased.



I increased the size to fit on an 8.5 x 11 cover sheet. I made a copy of the file in photoshop and then ran the rough pastel filter on it. This pretty much destroys all of the details. I next took the original image, placed it over the rough pastel image and reduced the opacity to 58%. This helps bring back the detail of the people on the boat and still allows the artistic image to show through. I do this trick with portraits that I want to apply an artistic filter to and still maintain detail. I added a contrasting color for the background and text for the cover page.


No comments: